brought to you by TextLinkAds.com
Oct 06
by Patrick Gavin Text Link Ads News with 23 Comments

Blog_juice
We have just released our newest TLA tool…

The Blog Juice Calculator

It’s a fun tool that allows you to compare your blog to other’s based on: rss subscribers, Alexa, and Technorati rank and links.  This was Marie’s first TLA link bait project and she did a great job!  Check it out and let us know what you think.

23 comments - add your's now

#1
Cristian Mezei (10/11/06 at 11:31 am)

Hey. Excelent tool.

A few mentions though:

#1. How does the tool find the right FEED to search for subsribers in Bloglines ? I have 40. The tool shows 4. Maybe because most users don’t use the standard feed anymore and use Feedburner or other services ?

Maybe you should research this more deeply.

#2. You should set a lower score on the Alexa rank just because it’s so inaccurate.

Anyway good work. Congrats guys.

#2
Tamar (10/11/06 at 12:21 pm)

What a great tool! Nice work, Marie!

#3
gidibao (10/11/06 at 2:44 pm)

Awesome tool Marie!
Congrats guys ;)

thx

#4
Jojo (10/11/06 at 5:52 pm)

Something with this tool is wrong. For my blog internetmarketing-news.de I got 4.1 points. Then a few readers reported they got also 4.1 points. I got then suspicious and tried a few other domains. All got 4.1 points – even non existing domains.

#5
Aleksandersen (10/11/06 at 6:09 pm)

Why Bloglines? Why not have the subscription numbers from My Yahoo!, Google Reader, Newshutch or other services?

#6
Aaron Shear (10/11/06 at 6:22 pm)

Awesome tool, I love it!

#7
oliva (10/11/06 at 8:28 pm)

Doesn’t work. lol
It’s a fun thing though.
I think everyone gets the same score.
I did fifteen varied blogs and they all got 4.1
I am ranked as high a some very asute blogs even in automotives… and I don’t think I have ever even used the word car in my blog.

#8
Louis Kessler (10/11/06 at 10:44 pm)

I love the look of your graphic and how your Blog Juice works. But I have one small problem:

The link includes a link to the graphic of the Blog Juice value (in my case 1.4). It looks to me like I’ll have to manually change it everytime by Blog Juice value changes. Otherwise, someone will get to your page and it will show a different value. That is not very convenient.

Please e-mail me back and let me know if that is the case.

Thanks.

#9
Affiliate Tips (10/12/06 at 12:14 am)

I liked the idea of the tool, but it does not work consistently. Just in one day I saw a deviation of around 2 for some blogs I was checking. You have to check your logic.

#10
Xial (10/12/06 at 2:21 am)

I do hope you’ll reconsider your metric. Bloglines, counting for 40%?

Bleah.

At least my Alexa rating and Technorati ratings helped on that.

#11
vibhash (10/12/06 at 6:32 am)

Nice tool:)
But i think rather than using bloglines you can use subscription numbers from My Yahoo!, Google Reader etc…
Google Reader is becoming very popular now a days…and My yahoo too has a huge number of usrs!

#12
randfish (10/12/06 at 12:01 pm)

Patrick – as a long time tool developer, I’m totally impressed with the interface and the use of the stickers; way to go!

That said, I’ll agree with a few here have noted – that the bloglines numbers are off, and that you may want to do what we do, which is to store data for a particular URL for 24 hours, that way if it gets queried frequently, you don’t have to send out your pings again :)

#13
catherine (10/12/06 at 1:02 pm)

This tool has a lot of potential. right now, not working in firefox though…

#14
Matt McGee (10/13/06 at 12:54 am)

Just to echo the earlier comments, the tool is crediting my little blog for 0 (zero) Bloglines subscribers. I don’t have a ton, but it’s more than that. Looking at my stats, I also have subscribers from My Yahoo, Netvibes, Google, etc. (as others have pointed out).

It’s a nice idea and right now serves as a bit of an ego checker for bloggers, but if you can work out the Bloglines thing and expand that part of the data somehow, you’d have a potentially useful tool for advertisers wanting to identify the more widely read blogs.

Hope this helps. :-)

#15
Jorge (10/13/06 at 10:31 am)

I have the same problem with Bloglines, with only 2 subscribers (but the true numbers are above of 100). I suggest to use Feedburner too.

#16
JLP at AllFinancialMatters (10/14/06 at 11:45 pm)

I wonder why the tool doesn’t report all my Bloglines subscribers? It says I have 126 subscribers but I know I have over 500, which would make my score quite a bit higher if they were all counted.

Good effort, though.

#17
Joris (10/15/06 at 5:46 am)

It keeps saying “Just a sec… Loading…”
I’ll try it again in a couple of hours…

#18
Mr. Fabulous (10/15/06 at 10:49 am)

Bloglines is showing incorrect for me as well. I have dozens of subscribers but I keep showing up as zero

#19
Nick (10/16/06 at 1:18 pm)

My bloglines subscribers aren’t showing up either… but I have a feeling that’s because it does a search in Bloglines using my base url. However, my RSS feed auto-redirects people using a 302 to a feedburner feed, which is what would show up in Bloglines.

It would be nice if somehow your tool would take that into account, and even perhaps use Feedburner’s subscriber count instead of just Bloglines count. There are plent of other feed aggregators after all.

#20
had (10/17/06 at 8:53 am)

juicy :)

#21
john (10/18/06 at 9:54 pm)

keep up the gud work guys .
blogging&rss

#22
Sam (10/19/06 at 5:58 pm)

Interesting and a little fun. How about a sports category?

#23
djhorserider (08/06/07 at 11:27 pm)

Hello everybody

Very good stuff. They have been around a long time. – http://www.allsteroidsworld.com
I just got an order of sust 250 and Deca from them.

Thanks bros